Sunday, September 14, 2008

All School, All the Time

So the past three weeks have been consumed with a lot of school...

1. We started back without kids the week before Labor Day. Now the kids have been back for two weeks and they have wiped me out! I forget what the beginning of every year is like! You would think after 10 years I would figure that out... I seem to have a decent class; still figuring them out and "training" them to the Room 10 way. I have 14 kids; 6 girls and 8 boys.

2. I started teaching a master's level post-baccalaureate course at Mt. Mary College up the street from me. It is a Math Methods course for students who have a bachelors degree in something else and have decided that they would like to become a teacher; so while they are taking courses for two years and they are also teaching in a classroom as a full-time teacher. My role is teach best practices and ways in which to teach children not teach the students how to do math. So far, good; after the 1st few weeks of nerves, I am doing a little bit better with it!

3. Quilting class started! This is one of the hardest classes I have ever taken. There is so much attention to detail and exact precision; which is not my style at all. Of course I want things to look nice but if it's off an eighth of an inch, then so be it. I missed last weeks class because of open house at school and I wasn't disappointed at all. But I'm plugging away at it and I go to my mom's house for extra help. In two weeks I have to go in with 12 nine inch blocks completed. I have 4 done in about 6 hours of time! Two classes left and then putting the backing on...which I think I am going to have the shop do but I'll post it as soon as it's done.


Well hopefully this breaks the blogging hiatus and we'll have more interesting and exciting news to share!

Jaime

No comments: